Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Playing with Paint and Crackle medium

The MFT designers were challenged to incorporate paint in their MFT projects and this is what Judy Morrow came up with.





Instructions are below and if you are looking for more inspiration, go to Judy's blog http://confessionsofaribbonaddict.blogspot.com/2011/06/playing-with-paint-inspired-by.html
"First up, I stamped the bird's nest with Brilliance Graphite Black ink and clear embossed. Here is a little tip when you are embossing - heat the BOTTOM of your paper, NOT the top where the image is. This is especially helpful with fine lines or large areas and keeps your embossing powder smooth, and prevents it from melting in to the paper. That is what I did for this image.


Next, I used my paint dabber to "sponge" the edges of the card stock. I also used a flourish stamp from Own your Story to stamp some decorative detail in the corners of the panel. I used the paint for ink by dabbing it on the stamp and then stamping.

I used Smooch paint in a pearly white color to color in the eggs in the nest.


I used green Smooch paint to color the leaves.


I whipped out another type of paint, Crackle Paint, to use on the background layer. I spread it generously on the paper and then set it aside for quite a while to dry.


Here is what it looks like after it dries.


Here is the finished product one last time. Elegant with a touch of grunge! I finished it off with some gingham ribbon and a sentiment from the set stamped on one of the pieces from the First Place Award Ribbon Die-namics die.


While I had out all the materials, I decided to make one more paint card. After all, I needed something to do while my crackle paint was drying. LOL For this one, I decided to try a different type of technique and used a different Inspired By stamp set, Caged Bird. Again, I will show you the finished product first and then go in to the details below.

See the smooth finish of the embossed bird? That is achieved by heat embossing from the bottom of the paper instead of directly on the image.



I just love the Mini Film Strip Die-namics die. I backed it with some patterned paper to make it stand out against the back layer patterned paper.

I used a sponge to swipe paint from my paint dabber, which I poured directly on the kraft card stock.


I sped up the drying process by using my heat gun and then stamped the diamond pattern over the paint using chalk ink.


I stamped the bird cage with Brilliance Graphite Black and then clear embossed, being sure to heat from the bottom of the card stock, instead of the top.



I distressed the edges of the card stock with my Tonic paper distresser, and added some twine to hang the bird cage from. I kept it pretty simple to keep the focus on the paint.


All done and how beautiful is this card by Judy?

No comments:

Post a Comment